Save The Three Cups Hotel

The Three Cups Hotel

Campaigning for preservation of the hotel where J.R.R. Tolkien stayed and gained inspiration for his mythology. Jane Austen, G.K. Chesterton, Tennyson and H.W. Longfellow were also guests. The hotel featured in the film, “The French Lieutenant’s Woman”. Please send articles to me, Andrew Townsend, at afmt@btinternet.com or add a comment. Thanks to David Moss for all his work. Comments are closed at WDDC for the plans to redevelop the site but you can still write to the papers.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What is the scaffolding for?

I understand from sources in Lyme Regis that scaffolding was erected at the end of last week across the front of The Three Cups Hotel.

If anyone can shed any light on whether this is the start of refurbishment of the hotel or something far worse, please add a comment to this post for the benefit of all concerned.

It would also be useful if anyone could say if there is scaffoling at the rear of the building as well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Townsend said…

Many thanks to West Dorset District Council for letting me know that the scaffolding has been erected to allow painting works to be carried out to windows and door frames. Presumably, this is just to maintain the building in a suitable condition for its listed status. Sadly then, there is no good news yet about the hotel being refurbished so that it can be used and enjoyed by the general public or fee paying guests.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said…

Dear Sir it was with great sadness that I read about the Three Cups Hotel as I was the last Landlord (Nicholas Woodcock)from 1st November 1979 to April 1990 when it reverted back to Palmers who closed it never to reopen as it seems my tenancy lasted 10 years and spent many happy years in Lyme
N.R.Woodcock

 
Anonymous Anonymous said…

Hello to Nicholas Woodcock the last landlord of the Three Cups Hotel. I too have a particular interest in this hotel as my great Aunt Maria Garrod was the proprietor back in 1900 when she would have entertained Tolkien during his 1904 visit. If you would like to contact me personally I would be happy to share my info of my aunt's time at The Cups. C.L. Edge (clairdylou@ntlworld.com)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said…

If anyone knows how to contact Nicholas Woodcock, please could you contact me

natalie.manifold@hotmail.co.uk

I live in lyme and I am researching its history etc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home