Save The Three Cups Hotel

The Three Cups Hotel

Campaigning for preservation of the hotel where J.R.R. Tolkien stayed and gained inspiration for his mythology. Jane Austen, G.K. Chesterton, Tennyson and H.W. Longfellow were also guests. The hotel featured in the film, “The French Lieutenant’s Woman”. Please send articles to me, Andrew Townsend, at afmt@btinternet.com or add a comment. Thanks to David Moss for all his work. Comments are closed at WDDC for the plans to redevelop the site but you can still write to the papers.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Revamp for hotel after two decades?

The Bridport and Lyme Regis News has reported on plans to re-open The Three Cups! Click here to read the full article. As you'll see, I've had my say. Please add your comments on the newspaper's website or below on my blog or both.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said…

Having read the newspaper article I must agree with Andrew that it would be in the town's best interest to reinstate The Cups as an hotel/restaurant. The blue plaque would be the icing on the cake. Let's hope it's a case of "everything comes to those who wait!".

 
Blogger Family Kearns said…

On a personal note, my wife and I met each other in the Three Cups in April 1986, got married in Lyme in December same year. Now we're living in Vancouver! She ran the wine bar at the back of the dining room and I was living in the hotel long-term, I was attending training in Seaton.
The hotel has a special place in our hearts and we would love to see it reopen as a hotel and be the first guests there!
In particular we remember Simon the barman from Taunton and Felix the hotel manager, big into sailing. Never knew about the Tolkien connection till now, says something about the tourist board there. A shame as I am a big fan.

 
Blogger Andrew Townsend said…

Thank you to the Kearns Family for posting a comment and supporting my blog. Sorry I didn't pick up on it sooner. I've had a look at my settings and hopefully will get notifications on all comments now and more visibility in web searches. There have been a few other comments recently on older posts. (See April and July 2008 archives.) It would be nice if all comments could be listed somewhere. Regards, Andrew

 
Blogger Family Kearns said…

Is there a way for us to post pics on your blog, I can't seem to find a way. My wife was back in Lyme in 2006 and we have a couple of pictures of the hotel that your readers might enjoy.

 
Blogger David Moss said…

Hi, if you'd like to email the photos to Andrew (afmt@btinternet.com) I'm sure we could post them up to the blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home