Save The Three Cups Hotel

The Three Cups Hotel

Campaigning for preservation of the hotel where J.R.R. Tolkien stayed and gained inspiration for his mythology. Jane Austen, G.K. Chesterton, Tennyson and H.W. Longfellow were also guests. The hotel featured in the film, “The French Lieutenant’s Woman”. Please send articles to me, Andrew Townsend, at afmt@btinternet.com or add a comment. Thanks to David Moss for all his work. Comments are closed at WDDC for the plans to redevelop the site but you can still write to the papers.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Potential business growth for Lyme Regis

I had a glimpse of how things could develop for The Three Cups when I stayed at a hotel in Gloucestershire this week.

In my last post I suggested that the most economical way to get The Cups back in business AS A HOTEL for the benefit of the people of Lyme Regis would be as a family hotel or hostel like The Strowis in Utrecht. I intimated that could be just the start and over a few years I have seen improvements at the Cross Hands in Old Sodbury which could be the shape of things to come for The Three Cups.

It is a few years since I stayed at The Cross Hands and I was pleased to have an opportunity to stay there again. I enjoyed the old world charm of this hotel, its sense of history and the hospitality offered when I last visited. I was delighted to be able to go back and see that business is thriving as they have been able to invest in tasteful redecoration and refurbishment.

If you know the area, you will be aware that the hotel has location in terms of being set in beautiful surroundings. One could debate the importance of its proximity to Bristol but I was interested to see their emphasis on advertising as a venue for weddings and for that they have car park, car park, car park and gardens, gardens, gardens (to rewrite the old saying about success for hotels). I think this is relevant to future  of The Three Cups and Lyme Regis.

AS A HOTEL with a car park and gardens with stunning sea views, The Three Cups could offer much more than just accommodation for tourists and visitors to come to Lyme Regis (and spend money); it could be a venue for weddings and other social functions for local people. I'm sure that would play no small part in encouraging young people to stay in the area rather than abandon a town dominated by empty second homes or apartments.

0 Comments:

<< Home